Vaastu has some principles for the interiors of a home. Practitioners believe that these principles, if followed diligently, will contribute to the success and prosperity of the residents.
Here are a few
- A tulsi or neem plant in or around the house is considered auspicious. On the other hand, cactus or such thorny plants must be avoided. They are believed to cause friction between the residents.
- A toilet or tap in the centre of the house is considered very unlucky. It is believed to drain away all the wealth. Repair any leaking tap immediately. A leaking tap is also believed to drain away all the wealth.
- The kitchen, toilet and prayer room should never be next to each other. These rooms represent energies that should be kept apart.
- The gas burner or microwave in the kitchen should not be directly in front of the main door.
- Never have a washroom or pantry under a staircase. It is believed to bring bad luck.
- In a washroom, the mirror, sink, and tap should be placed along the north or east wall.
- The toilet seat should preferably be along the North-south axis. Many worship the rising Sun facing the East. Hence, it is ideal to avoid aligning the toilet seat to the Eastwest axis.
- All electrical or heat-generating appliances should be kept in the South-east, or at least their plug point (energy source) or remote control should be in this direction.